The home buying process should be an exciting experience. However, this isn’t always the case. Most people have either been through or know someone who has been through a home buying experience that went wrong.
That’s why today I’ll be sharing the six keys to avoiding a disastrous home buying experience.
1. Know your motivation. Understanding why it is that you want to move in the first place will set you off on the right foot. Whether you’re downsizing, upsizing, or are just generally looking to increase your quality of life, you need to understand the problem you’re trying to solve through your home purchase.
2. Establish your criteria. Think about how many bedrooms you need. Also, do you need a home that is move-in ready? Whatever your personal needs and wants are, you should have them in mind before you begin your search.
3. Search online and call your agent. When you get in contact with an agent who is knowledgeable about the area, knows what you’re looking for, and understands how to achieve your goals, they will be able to help guide your search. Find an agent who truly cares to listen to you about exactly what you’re looking for and will search diligently to help you find it.
4. Visit with a lender. Use a lender you can trust and who will be consistent with the information they provide throughout the process. You don’t want to work with someone who will give you one figure at the beginning of the process only to tell you something else weeks later. The right lender will be able to show you what you qualify for and what to expect from your monthly payments. Make sure, though, that as you’re establishing a price you are comfortable with, you consider future plans. Don’t go home broke.
5. Have your agent schedule showings. Communicate with your agent about your schedule and make sure they set up a time at your earliest convenience. Your agent should work showings in at times that will be most convenient for you and move as quickly as possible to get you in to see the most desirable homes.
6. Don’t be late to the party. Once you’ve found a home that closely fits your wants and needs, you may find yourself still feeling a little hesitant. My advice to you in this situation is this: You must realize that other people are interested in that very same property. Everyone wants to find the best available option. Any hesitation could translate into a lost opportunity. Why wait? Put in your offer immediately using the advice of your agent.
At Maven Real Estate, we’ve actually created a group on Facebook where we post the best available listings we can find every day. This group is called Maven Hot Homes, and I highly suggest you utilize it as a resource in your search.
The best houses won’t last long. Click here to join our Facebook group.